All nordic countries share the “Nordic cross” as a symbol : it is a unique flag design, featuring a cross representing christianity ; but the Nordic Cross also represents the ties the Nordic nations share with each other.
The danish flag came first and was followed by the swedish, norwegian, finnish and icelandic ones, the norwegian flag being the first to use three coulours.
Many private homes in Scandinavia have a flag pole, enabling citizens to fly the flag during daylight hours, at birthdays or celerations, as well as national days, religious holidays, military commemorations, and even birthdays in the royal families of the country. Finland, which is not a monarchy, celebrate finn culture instead, flying the flag on days commemorating famous finnish people (generals, poets…).
The flags are treated with respect : they should never touch the ground, and are burnt when damaged. Flying the national flag is considered a privilege, not a right.
- Name : Dannebrog (14th century)
- Meaning : bravery and strength (red), mixed with honesty and peace (white), according to traditional heraldic codes ; it could also be seen as a symbol of the king’s tunic, stained red from the blood of his enemies, except for his belt and military equipment.
- History : Danes are very proud of their flag : the danish flag was said to have been given to the Danish king Valdemar II by God himself, to reassure and motivate Danish troups during a battle against Estonia in 1219.
- Name : Sveriges flagga (17th century)
- Meaning : blue with a yellow cross, with the blue symbolizing truth and loyalty, and the yellow representing generosity
- History : said to represent the golden cross that king Eric the Holy saw in the sky as he landed in Finland during the first Swedish Crusade (….omg *inner shipper squeeing, while Finland winces at the memory*) ; also conveniently uses NO danish color, and is thus a symbol of resistance against Denmark.
- Name : Det norske flagget (1821)
- Meaning : red, with white and blue cross ; intended as a symbol of freedom, in reference to the french, american and british flags, but is also seen as the symbol of the ties Norway had with Denmark (red and white cross) and Sweden (blue)
- History : Norway kept using the Danish flag until 1821, despite being no longer in a union with Denmark but being with Sweden instead. Only in 1821 was a distinctive Norwegian flag designed and approved by the parliament.
- Name : Siniristilippu (1918)
- Meaning : white (the winter snow) with a blue cross (the thousand lakes and the sky)
- History : when Finland gained independance, a competition was held regarding the design of the Finnish flag ; some designs used the red and yellow of Finland coat of arms, but it was the blue and white design that was chosen in the end.
- Name : Islenski fáninn (1944)
- Meaning : the colors of the elements composing Icelandic landscape, blue for the Atlantic Ocean, white cross for the ice and snow, red for the fire of the volcanoes
- History : the icelandic civil flag had been used as an unofficial symbol since 1913 ; it was officially adopted in 1915 and officially described in a law in 1944, when Iceland became a republic.
"how can you drink hot coffee in the middle of summer?" fire cannot kill a dragon.
There is a serious lack of booboo tutorials.
The world stands with Palestine.
Always watch your drink
To Europeans it seems weird and oddly suspicious at first that some American products boast that they contain real sugar, until we remember that Americans usually use corn syrup.
Assassin’s Creed Unity meets parkour in real life
and that was the first time dave saw his big dumb bro crying (◡‿◡✿)
Well I just bought a full CD of music for the first time in forever.
This is fabulous.
Support this guy! Buy his stuff! Chutzpah this beautiful deserves support.
this is really good and hella catchy
SHONEN JUMP PREVIEW:
THERE WILL BE A NEW MOVIE OF NARUTO COMING ON OCTOBER 17TH TO CELEBRATE THE 15 YEARS OF THE SERIES AND THE END OF ITSELF..
MANGA 686 SPOILER:
NARUTO AND SASUKE ARE FINALLY GOING TO SEAL KAGUYA?.
NARUTO IS ABOUT TO END…